85hr Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training
Edinburgh, (non-residential training) SOLD OUT
This is a six day course. 30th August – 1st September 2019 and 6th – 8th September 2019
2020 dates: 4th – 6th September and 11th – 13th September 2020
85 hrs Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training with Sally Parkes (BSc).
This course is fully certified by FEDANT and The Yoga Alliance UK, The Yoga Alliance US, and is taught by highly qualified and is taught by Sally Parkes BSc.
Venue: Meadowlark Yoga Studio, 39 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh EH9 1JT
We are pleased to announce a brand new venue for our Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training course, at the wonderful Meadowlark Yoga Studio, Edinburgh. Affordable accommodation can be found nearby through airbnb.co.uk .
With full accreditation from The Yoga Alliance (US), Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) and the Federation of Antenatal Educators, our certified residential Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training course offers 85 hours of learning about all aspects of becoming a mother – from pregnancy, to post-natal and Mother and Baby Yoga.
Successful participants arrive as students but leave as teachers, with the knowledge, confidence and expertise to run classes and individual sessions which deliver safe, uplifting and effective yoga practice with clients across any stage of this miraculous journey.
There’s a strong focus on anatomy and psychology across Sallys’ teachings of yoga, with additional emphasis on learning about the Shakti (female) energy which plays such a vital role in conception, pregnancy and birth. Students of this course also develop a thorough knowledge of yoga asana, mudra, pranayama, relaxation, meditation and the spiritual elements of yoga during pregnancy.
The course also involves wider aspects of a mothers’ yoga practice, such as gentle postnatal Pilates methods to support, strengthen and stretch; gentle exercise for health and alignment; basic yoga sequences for mother and baby; and recovery and rehabilitation during the post-natal phase. The final module of the course is dedicated to learning the art of Mother and Baby Yoga.
The course contact hours allow plenty of opportunities for discussion and practice and is completed with an informative talk on how to set up and develop your own pregnancy yoga business. As well as basics of hiring the right space and ways to organise classes, you’ll also gain insights into using social media to help you gain clients and build a growing community which brings referrals.
“Thank you Sally for the great experience of doing your Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training, I thoroughly enjoyed it. What I loved about it, is that it’s so inclusive and creates a relaxed way of learning. It’s adaptable to the individual and there is no pressure to perform. Everyone was really lovely and supportive and Sally is truly professional and friendly. She has a unique teaching style which make you want to learn more from her. And more importantly she has a great sense of humour. A thoroughly enjoyable course and I cannot wait to apply it outside of the course.” – Ayesha Nauth, Bikram Yoga Teacher and mother of two.
- Yoga related movements for all the trimesters to stretch and strengthen the physical body and help alleviate common conditions of pregnancy.
- Appropriate relaxation, pranayama, visualizations and meditation for the prenatal mother.
- How simple breath work and deep relaxation can help rejuvenate a women mentally, physically and emotionally.
- How pregnancy can negatively affect postural alignment, and how with the correct programming of yoga asana, we can in part counteract these changes.
- Effective use of yoga props to help the mother feel more supported.
- The difference between sequencing yoga asana for a mother in her second and in her third trimester.
- Moola Bandha – the importance of a healthy pelvic floor and how the alignment of the pelvis affects its’ engagement.
- Energetics – An overview of the Chakra System and how the pelvic floor relates to and affects the root chakra.
- A discussion on the effects that pregnancy has on the direction of prana, and how this relates to birth.
Birth and Birth Preparation Module
- Positions for optimal foetal positioning and how the position of the baby may affect labour.
- Working with an exercise ball and chair for the late stages of pregnancy, in preparation for birth.
- The importance of the Nervous System, and the role the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous Systems play during birth.
- Birth and labour – description of a `normal’ or ‘physiological’ birth.
- The spiritual aspects of birth.
- Meditations and birth affirmations for the birthing mother, that can be used no matter how her birth unfolds.
Postnatal and Mother and Baby Yoga Module
- Yoga and Pilates related movements for the post-natal period to stretch and strengthen the physical body and help alleviate common conditions of a post-natal woman including postural changes such as upper and low crossed syndrome.
- How simple breath work and deep relaxation can help heal a women mentally, physically and emotionally.
- Post-natal recovery yoga for mother who has experienced a medicalised birth ie: medical induction, Syntocin drip, Epidural, Ventouse, forceps, Caesarean Section, and/or birth trauma.
- Mother and baby yoga – How to plan and facilitate a class safely and effectively so it is all inclusive and involves both the mother and baby.
Getting started: Starting up your career as a pre and postnatal yoga teacher
- We will discuss and share ideas of how to start your business as a pre and post-natal yoga teacher. We will cover how to register as a pregnancy yoga teacher, writing a health questionnaire, how to take payments for classes, legal data collection and protection procedures etc.
This course teaches you to deliver classes and one to one lessons that are:
- Safe, effective and functional
- An even blend of the yoga system
You will finish the training course with the skills to:
- You will be able to teach a Pregnancy Yoga class, a Post-Natal Yoga class and a Mother and Baby Yoga Class.
- Teach a well-rounded yoga class that honours a woman’s mind and body at this special and sacred time.
- Adapt your general classes for any pregnant ladies who also attend.
- Integrate yoga props and small equipment into your classes and one to ones to make them more bespoke.
- Adapt the class for those with injuries and/or common ailments such as lower back pain, pelvic girdle pain, low/high blood pressure and fatigue.
- Have a clear understanding of why it is important to incorporate all elements of yoga into a class.
- Have the knowledge of what actually happens to the body during pregnancy and birth.
Homework, Assignments and Exam:
As part of the 85 hour course program, this course requires you to do at least 22 hours of private study/readings as per the Yoga Alliance guidelines. Students will be asked to write a short pregnancy yoga sequence after the third day to teach towards the end of the course to the rest of the group. This will constitute the practical exam for the course. There are also several assignments to complete including one class observations (ideally prior to the course), teaching practice and a case study. You will also be expected to thoroughly read the course training manual. Reading list to purchase prior to and during the training:
- ‘Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful’ by Gurmukh
- Course training manual
Yoga Alliance, Yoga Alliance Professionals and FEDANT Certification:
All graduates will receive a certificate upon completion. This training is 85 hours (including private study time) to meet with the standards of The Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) and The Yoga Alliance US, and is also certified by the Federation of Antenatal Educators (FEDANT). The course is open to anyone with a keen interest in ante-natal education and a passion for sharing their knowledge after the course with mums-to be, including yoga teachers, doula’s and midwives. You will be able to register with FEDANT’s register of Ante-Natal Educators, and if you have a 200hr Yoga Teacher Training certification already, you will be permitted to register with The Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) or The Yoga Alliance US as a Pregnancy Yoga Teacher.
About your teacher, Sally Parkes, BSc, EYT, SYT.
Sally has been teaching health and fitness since 1998 and has studied and taught pregnancy and post-natal yoga extensively since 2007. Her style of yoga is from the lineage taught by guru Uma Dinsmore-Tuli, a leader in the field of women’s well-being, whilst also weaving an element of exercise physiology, Pilates and movement methods gained from her studies in exercise rehabilitation in to her teaching.
Now a mother of two lively little girls, Sally continues her studies and has trained as a doula with Michel O’Dent and with Jennifer Walker of Spinning Babies, and has penned many articles for major publications. Also the author of The Students Guide to Yoga Anatomy and teacher on movementformodernlife.com, Sally is now a certified Experienced and Senior Yoga Teacher and teacher trainer, who is known for her humour, warmth and all inclusive presentations. She now specialises in delivering solid and thorough pregnancy and post-natal yoga teacher training’s in the UK and internationally.
Click here to read testimonials from some of our previous Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training Students:
The deposit for the training constitutes the first £200 of the 85 hour Pregnancy Yoga Teacher training course fee and is non-refundable. It is not possible to have your place refunded or transfer to a Pregnancy Yoga Teacher training course at a later date once you have already paid your deposit. We STRONGLY recommend that you take out insurance to cover your costs in the event that you have to cancel or curtail your training. By registering and paying a deposit of £200 for this course, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy. Thank you.
Pregnancy Yoga Tutorials
Early Bird Offer
*Early Bird price £700 – usual price £750. Please note our Early Bird discount applies if booked before 31st May 2019.
30th August – 1st September 2019 – SOLD OUT
6th September – 8th September 2019 – SOLD OUT
4th – 6th September 2020
11th – 13th September 2020
This is a six day course.
The timings for each day are 08:15 – 16:30
Click here to visit Airbnb for great places to stay in Edinburgh.
The Manual of Yoga Anatomy
By Sally Parkes BSc, EYT, SYT. 30 Essential Poses Analyzed, Explained and Illustrated now available on Amazon.co.uk
Sign up here for the latest news!