85 hrs Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training (Residential Course)
Arundel, West Sussex
This 6 day course will run on the following: 10th – 15th May 2020 | 8th – 13th November 2020
85hrs Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training (Residential course) with Sally Parkes BSc
This course is fully certified by FEDANT, Yoga Alliance Professionals UK, The Yoga Alliance US, and is taught by highly qualified and experienced tutors.
Venue: Brooklands Barn, Priory Lane, Arundel, West Sussex BN18 0BG
We are pleased to announce a brand new residential venue for our Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training course, at the wonderful Brooklands Barn in Arundel, West Sussex.
This course is fully certified by FEDANT, Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) and The Yoga Alliance USA, and is taught by Sally Parkes BSc. Her UK trainings often also feature guest teachers.
With full accreditation from the above bodies, our certified Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training course offers 85hours of learning about all aspects of becoming a mother – from pregnancy, to postnatal and Mother & Baby Yoga. Successful participants arrive as students but leave as teachers, with the knowledge, confidence and expertise to run classes and individual sessions which deliver safe, uplifting and effective yoga practice with clients across any stage of this miraculous journey.
The course offers a strong focus on anatomy and psychology across Sally’s teachings of yoga, with additional emphasis on learning about the Shakti (female) energy which plays such a vital role in conception, pregnancy and birth. Students of this course also develop a thorough knowledge of yoga asana, mudra, pranayama, relaxation and more meditative elements of yoga during pregnancy.
The course also offers a broader offering for mother’s yoga practice, such as gentle postnatal Pilates inspired methods to support, strengthen and stretch; gentle exercise for health and alignment; basic yoga sequences for mother & baby; and recovery and rehabilitation during the postnatal phase. The final module of the course is dedicated to learning the art of Mother & Baby Yoga.
The course contact hours allow plenty opportunity for discussion as well as practice and is completed with an informative talk on how to succeed at setting up and developing your own pregnancy yoga business and space management for classes.
Can’t do a residential course?
I want to thank you for an amazing course and time, I am really sad it is over but I am sure more is to come! I can truly say this was one of the best courses I have done and one of the best spaces to share yoga with others. You created a great space and then it was so easy to learn and share. Also thank you for the support and lovely iRest meditation session.
I wanted to say a big thank you for such an amazing course, I thoroughly enjoyed it and gained so much more than I could have imagined. It was great to meet so many interesting and wonderful women, your guest speakers / assistants were fantastic and of course so were you!
- Yoga related movements for all the trimesters to stretch and strengthen the physical body and help alleviate common conditions of pregnancy.
- Appropriate relaxation, pranayama, visualisations and meditation for the prenatal mother.
- How simple breath work and deep relaxation can help rejuvenate a mother mentally, physically and emotionally.
- How pregnancy can negatively affect postural alignment, and how with the correct programming of yoga asana, we can in part counteract these changes.
- Effective use of yoga props to help the mother feel more supported.
- The difference between sequencing yoga asana for a mother in her second and in her third trimester.
- Moola Bandha – the importance of a healthy pelvic floor and how the alignment of the pelvis affects its’ engagement.
- Energetics – An overview of the Chakra System and how the pelvic floor relates to and affects the Root Chakra.
- A discussion on the effects that pregnancy has on the direction of prana, and how this relates to birth.
- Hypnobirthing for pregnancy and birth (with @annabrookyoga)
Birth and Birth Preparation Module
- Positions for optimal foetal positioning and how the position of the baby may affect labour.
- Working with an exercise ball and chair for the late stages of pregnancy, in preparation for birth.
- The importance of the Nervous System: the role the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous Systems during birth.
- Birth and labour – discussion of a ‘normal’ or ‘physiological’ birth.
- The spiritual aspects of birth.
- Meditation and birth affirmations for the birthing mother that can be used no matter how her birth unfolds.
Postnatal and Mother and Baby Yoga Module
- Yoga and Pilates related movements for the postnatal period to stretch, strengthen the physical body and help alleviate common conditions of a postnatal woman including postural changes such as upper and low crossed syndrome.
- Postnatal recovery yoga for the mother who has experienced a medicalised birth ie: medical induction, syntonic drip, epidural, Ventouse, forceps, Caesarean Section, and/or birth trauma.
- Mother and baby yoga – How to plan and facilitate a class safely and effectively so it is all inclusive and involves both the mother and baby.
Getting started: Starting up your career as a pre and postnatal yoga teacher
- We will discuss and share ideas of how to start your business as a pre and postnatal yoga teacher. We will cover how to register as a pregnancy yoga teacher, writing a health questionnaire, how to take payments for classes, legal data collection and protection procedures etc.
This course teaches you to deliver classes and one to one lessons that are:
- Safe, effective and functional
- An even blend of the yoga system
You will finish the training course with the skills to:
- You will be able to teach a Pregnancy Yoga class, a Postnatal Yoga class and a Mother & Baby Yoga class.
- Teach a well-rounded yoga class that honours a woman’s mind and body at this special and sacred time.
- Adapt your general classes for any pregnant ladies who also attend.
- Integrate yoga props and small equipment into your classes and one to ones to make them more bespoke.
- Adapt the class for those with injuries and/or common ailments such as lower back pain, pelvic girdle pain, low/high blood pressure and fatigue.
- Have a clear understanding of why it is important to incorporate all elements of yoga into a class.
- Have the knowledge of what actually happens to the body during pregnancy and birth.
Homework, Assignments and Exam
As part of this 85hour course, we require you to do at least 22 hours of private study and reading. Students will be asked to write a short pregnancy yoga sequence after the third day, to teach to fellow students towards the end of the course. This will constitute the practical exam for the course. There are also several assignments to complete including one class observations (ideally submitted prior to the course), teaching practice and a case study. You will also be expected to thoroughly read the course training manual.
Reading list to purchase prior to and during the training:
- Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful by Gurmukh
- The Female Pelvisby Blandine Calais-Germain – Sally is also using this book more and more on the course, so you may like to purchase this at some point.
- The Course Training Manual (included in your training fee)
Yoga Alliance, Yoga Alliance Professionals and FEDANT Certification:
All graduates will receive a PDF certificate upon completion. This training is 85hours (including private study time) to meet with the standards of The Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) and The Yoga Alliance USA, and is also certified by the Federation of Antenatal Educators (FEDANT). The course is open to anyone with a keen interest in ante-natal education and a passion for sharing their knowledge after the course with mums to be, including yoga teachers, doulas and midwives. You will be able to register with FEDANT’s register of Ante-Natal Educators, and if you have a 200hr Yoga Teacher Training certification already you will be permitted to register with The Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) or The Yoga Alliance USA as a Pregnancy Yoga Teacher.
About your teacher: Sally Parkes, BSc, SYT, EYT, RPYT
Sally Parkes (BSc) has over twenty years teaching experience in the Wellness Industry and an Honours Degree in Exercise Physiology. Sally trained as an Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga teacher in 2004 with Paul Dallaghan, before continuing her studies in Mysore, India.
Upon becoming a mother however, she heard her calling to teach Pregnancy Yoga and now specialises in delivering prenatal and postnatal yoga teacher trainings around the world.
Sally’s training is unique in that she shares her extensive knowledge in anatomy and physiology, whilst weaving together all elements of the yoga tradition in order to empower the mother to be to bring her baby safely and lovingly into the world.
Now a mother of two daughters, Sally also pens many articles for major publications and is the author of the bestselling book The Manual of Yoga Anatomy. Certified as an Experienced and Senior Yoga Teacher, Sally is known for her humour, warmth and inclusive presentations and delivered training in the UK, Asia and the Middle East.
About your stay with us at Brooklands Barn
Brooklands Barn is just 1 hour 15 minutes by direct train from London and is a stunning 19th century converted barn in a rural setting. It is just under one mile from the historic centre of Arundel, within walking distance along the River Arun and has breathtaking views of the Sussex downs. During your teacher training course with Sally you will be able to enjoy all the benefits of this venue including a newly built yoga studio, a heated indoor pool and sauna. Most rooms are en-suite and are allocated on a first-come first-served basis. Three fresh, healthy vegetarian meals per day are also provided for the group to enjoy together. For more information about our venue, please click here.
Set in the beautiful Sussex countryside and looking out onto fields and open spaces, the easily accessible Brooklands Barn has a wonderful nurturing atmosphere away from the hustle and bustle of daily life.
With a newly built yoga studio, plenty of space to rest, a heated swimming pool and sauna to use at your convenience after the course sessions, there’s no way you can’t relax. All rooms are spacious and newly refurbished.
We provide you with three healthy and nutritious meals a day. All food is home-made, healthy and vegetarian. We source our ingredients from local independent suppliers where possible.
Click here to read testimonials from some of our previous Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training Students:
Pregnancy Yoga Tutorials
Early Bird Offer
*Early Bird price £1247 – usual price £1297, when booked by the 10th February 2020. The price is for twin share accommodation. Single rooms are occasionally available upon request (for an additional fee) – please email for details. Price includes three homemade vegetarian meals a day, accommodation, course contents, course manual, certificate and ongoing support via a secret Facebook group. There are no other hidden costs. A £300 deposit is required to secure your place.
If you wish to pay by BACS please email firstname.lastname@example.org for our bank details.
This six day residential course will on the two below dates in 2020:
10th – 15th May 2020
8th – 13th November 2020
Please register your interest at email@example.com
Brooklands Barn, Priory Lane, Arundel, West Sussex BN18 0BG
Transport links: The nearest train station is Arundel and nearest airport is Gatwick, and trains can be caught from Gatwick to Arundel.
The Manual of Yoga Anatomy
By Sally Parkes BSc, EYT, SYT. 30 Essential Poses Analyzed, Explained and Illustrated now available on Amazon.co.uk
Sign up here for the latest news!