85hr Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training
Worthing, (non-residential training)
This is a six day course. More 2018 dates will be added very soon! Please email Sally on info@sallyparkesyoga to register your interest.
85 hrs Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training with Sally Parkes (BSc) and midwife Dee Bell.
Venue: Chatsworth Hotel The Steyne, Worthing, West Sussex BN11 3DU, United Kingdom.
Fully certified and accredited by The Yoga Alliance (US) Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) and The Federation of Antenatal Educators,, successful completion of this Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training course brings the understanding, knowledge and practical expertise which enables you to deliver a range of group or one-to-ones for Pregnancy, Post-natal and Mother and Baby Yoga. As well as the yoga content, the course also aims to teach you ways to ensure your delivery is safe, effective and inspiring to clients who are all at this milestone moment in their lives.
There’s a strong focus on the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology, including how these relate to asana, pranayama and mudra aspects of yoga throughout the pregnancy journey. The course also offers a dedicated focus on Shakti, female energetics which should be honoured during times of conception, pregnancy, birth and during the post-natal period.
Because pregnancy is a phase of life when the well-being of clients is of particular priority, relaxation, visualisation, meditation and spiritual elements are also explored and practised, to help you deliver classes which reduce stress and bring a sense of uplift and well-being to your clients. Wider yoga knowledge can also be gained through the course sessions on Pilates-related techniques and holistic exercises for post-natal recovery.
This course recognises that the end of everyone’s journey is also a new beginning. So, the final module of the course teaches you Mother and Baby Yoga, so you can confidently run classes for clients starting out as parents. We’re also mindful of your own new beginning when teaching yoga in pregnancy, so the final talk of the course is all about starting out in the business, setting up venues and classes, with tips on nurturing your customer referrals and yoga client community through the use of social media.
Please note that one day of this course is spent with Dee Bell, a registered midwife and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
- Yoga related movements for all the trimesters to stretch and strengthen the physical body and help alleviate common conditions of pregnancy.
- Mula bandha – the importance of a healthy pelvic floor and the correct alignment of the pelvis during pregnancy and the post-natal period.
- Energetics; How a dis-functional pelvic floor relates to and affects the root chakra.
- Appropriate relaxation, pranayama, visualizations and meditation.
- The spiritual aspects of pregnancy and birth.
- Working with an exercise ball or chair for both pregnancy and in preparation for labour.
- Positions for optimal foetal positioning.
- Birth and labour – description of a `normal’ birth using both anatomical images and a dummy baby and model of the pelvis. We also cover birth using induction, intervention, and caesarean section.
- Post-natal recovery including exercises and breath work following caesarean section.
- Yoga and pilates related movements for the post-natal period to stretch and strengthen the physical body and help alleviate common conditions of a post-natal woman including postural changes such as upper and low crossed syndrome.
- How simple breath work and deep relaxation can help heal a women mentally, physically and emotionally.
- Basic nutrition for new mums to aid post-natal recovery.
- Mother and baby yoga – How to plan and facilitate a class.
- How to start your business as a pre and post-natal yoga teacher.
This course teaches you to deliver classes and one to one lessons that are:
- Safe, effective and functional
- An even blend of the yoga system
You will finish the training course with the skills to:
- You will be able to teach a Pregnancy Yoga class, a Post-Natal Yoga class and a Mother and Baby Yoga Class.
- Teach a well-rounded yoga class that honours a woman’s mind and body at this special and sacred time.
- Adapt your general classes for any pregnant ladies who also attend.
- Integrate yoga props and small equipment into your classes and one to ones to make them more bespoke.
- Adapt the class for those with injuries and/or common ailments such as lower back pain, pelvic girdle pain, low/high blood pressure and fatigue.
- Have a clear understanding of why it is important to incorporate all elements of yoga into a class.
- Have the knowledge of what actually happens to the body during pregnancy and birth.
Homework, Assignments and Exam:
As part of the 85 hour course program, this course requires you to do at least 22 hours of private study/readings as per the Yoga Alliance guidelines. Students will be asked to write a short pregnancy yoga sequence after the third day to teach towards the end of the course to the rest of the group. This will constitute the practical exam for the course. There are also several assignments to complete including one class observations (ideally prior to the course), teaching practice and a case study. You will also be expected to thoroughly read the course training manual. Reading list to purchase prior to and during the training:
- ‘Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful’ by Gurmukh
- Course training manual
Yoga Alliance, Yoga Alliance Professionals and FEDANT Certification:
All graduates will receive a certificate upon completion. This training is 85 hours (including private study time) to meet with the standards of The Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) and The Yoga Alliance US, and is also certified by the Federation of Antenatal Educators (FEDANT). The course is open to anyone with a keen interest in ante-natal education and a passion for sharing their knowledge after the course with mums-to be, including yoga teachers, doula’s and midwives. You will be able to register with FEDANT’s register of Ante-Natal Educators, and if you have a 200hr Yoga Teacher Training certification already, you will be permitted to register with The Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) or The Yoga Alliance US as a Pregnancy Yoga Teacher.
About your teacher, Sally Parkes, BSc, EYT, SYT.
Sally has been teaching health and fitness since 1998 and has studied and taught pregnancy and post-natal yoga extensively since 2007. Her style of yoga is from the lineage taught by guru Uma Dinsmore-Tuli, a leader in the field of women’s well-being, whilst also weaving an element of exercise physiology, Pilates and movement methods gained from her studies in exercise rehabilitation in to her teaching. Now a mother of two lively little girls, Sally continues her studies and has trained as a doula with Michel O’Dent and with Jennifer Walker of Spinning Babies, and has penned many articles for major publications. Also the author of The Students Guide to Yoga Anatomy and teacher on movementformodernlife.com, Sally is now a certified Experienced and Senior Yoga Teacher and teacher trainer, who is known for her humour, warmth and all inclusive presentations. She now specialises in delivering solid and thorough pregnancy and post-natal yoga teacher training’s in the UK and internationally.
Click here to read testimonials from some of our previous Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training Students:
Pregnancy Yoga Tutorials
'Sally Parkes' Pregnancy Yoga DVD for health and wellbeing.
Suitable for all levels.
A £200 deposit is required to secure your place. If you wish to pay by BACS please email email@example.com for our bank details.
This is a six day course. 19th – 21st January 2018 26th – 28th January 2018
Book Me In!
The Steyne, Worthing, West Sussex BN11 3DU, United Kingdom.
The Student’s Manual of Yoga Anatomy
By Sally Parkes BSc, EYT, SYT. 30 Essential Poses Analyzed, Explained and Illustrated.
Sign up here for the latest news!